About the Library
Learn about our staff, board, and getting involved
Find out what’s been happening at the Library – and about our plans!
- The Library’s most recent Annual Report (2021)
- Report on the new Seed Library (2021)
- See our video of 2019 Library Highlights!
Library Reports are available in alternate formats on request.
The Merrickville Public Library has a history going back over 150 years!
It began as the “Mirickville Mechanics Institute and Library Association” in 1856. The Village was incorporated in 1860 as “Merrickville”. The fledgling Library occupied several locations over the years including St. Lawrence St., the Jakes Block and the Post Office.
From 1938-2008, the library was located in the former Pearson home at 111 Main St. E. The building was built and owned by William Pearson, co-owner of the Pearson-Magee Foundry.
In 1938, his daughter, Mary Pearson bequeathed the building to the Village of Merrickville for use as a Library and Municipal Office.
In 1984, the Village Municipal Offices moved to their present location and the Library then occupied the entire building.
In 2007, Merrickville Public Library celebrated 150 years of service in the community. This same year, the Merrickville Lions Club purchased our current building to donate to the municipality as a new home for the library. It had been built in 1996 to house the Canadian Recreational Canoe Association.
The library opened in its new location on June 7, 2008. And our story continues…